Upper Cross

Upper Cross (also known as Top Cross) is the junction of High Street, New Street, The Southend, and Worcester Road. In ecclesiastical towns, a cross marked the spot where a member of the clergy would say prayers to help keep the peace while market traders went about their business, also to collect dues; a cross was the forerunner of the market hall. Of the ‘House on Stilts’, c. 1600, one of the oldest timber-framed buildings in Ledbury, it is thought that the ground floor was originally exposed and used as a market hall.