Tesco

After the David Smith Contractors saw mill was destroyed by fire on 31 August 1908, the revamped site on the corner of Orchard Lane was occupied by F. C. Swift & Co. agricultural and motor engineers. Next came Alex Cowan & Sons Ltd, an envelope-maker. In 1967, Cowan was acquired by Reed International and became part of Spicers. After Spicers relocated to a building on the bypass, where Galebreaker is now, a Tesco supermarket opened on 18 August 1997, almost two weeks short of eighty-nine years since the fire.

A rare photograph depicting the saw mill fire is to be found in the book
Ledbury Through Time.