Before 1987, when Dawes Court, a block of flats, was built, fronting The Homend and Homend Crescent was the Boys’ School, opened in 1868 and enlarged in 1894 to accommodate 230 boys.
Dawes Court is named after the Very Reverend Richard Dawes, Dean of Hereford Cathedral and Master of St Katherine’s Hospital, as this school was founded largely through his efforts. All that remains of the school is a wall in The Homend and remnants in Homend Crescent. The school bell tower was lifted off by crane and removed to Longacres where it now rests in the grounds of Ledbury Primary School.
An all ability 11-18 school, in September 1999 JMS became an Arts College, specialising in the Performing Arts of Dance Drama and Music.
When Miss Hall died she left enough money to provide for a school mistress and twenty-four children, and for a schoolmaster to teach eight of those to write.
In the 19th century for half a penny pupils could receive school dinners. On Mondays this was pea soup, Tuesdays rice pudding, Wednesdays Irish Stew, Thursdays boiled beef and suet pudding and Fridays pea soup again. The School was rebuilt in 1910 and was now known as the 'New School of Domestic'.
During the 1990s, the ground floor was occupied by The Collection Gallery. The building is now used as offices and owned by a firm of solicitors Daniels Ferraby, DF Legal.
An important consideration of the location of Upper Hall is its proximity to the Church. The original buildings have been added to and extended over history. A most attractive part of Upper Hall is a fine Jacobean Wing constructed around 1670. In the 1730s a Georgian Wing was added, the central feature of which is a delightful oak parlour,. In 1766 the Jacobean and Georgian Wings were joined by a three storey house constructed to a mid-Georgian style. From around 1850 a large number of alterations were carried out to Upper Hall to give it a predominately Victorian theme.
Upper Hall belonged to Skyppe family until 1812 and their successors Martin, a banking family (Martins Bank later amalgamated with Barclays). During his ownership, John Martin transformed the external setting and approaches to Upper Hall surrounding it with parkland. Trees from home and abroad, including conifer, cedar and willow to name but a few, were imported and together with imaginative landscaping he created lovely surroundings for the main buildings. Although some of these features have now disappeared, many of them still remain in place, particularly the park and woodland. The original driveway, which extends to approximately 450 yards, leads from the main Worcester Road and was created to enable visitors to appreciate at first hand the superbly laid out grounds and the collection of trees, following as it does, a picturesque route towards the main house.
During World War I, the building was used as a hospital, and later augmented by the construction of further buildings. By 1920, “Upper Hall comprised a commodious family mansion, picturesquely situated and containing a suite of well proportioned reception rooms and 27 bedrooms" . That year Upper Hall was sold to Herefordshire County Council, who converted it into a Secondary School which soon became known as Ledbury Grammar School initially providing accommodation for 150 boys and girls aged 10 to 15 years. By 1970 there were 317 pupils on the roll. In 1978 through re-organisation of the secondary education system in the Ledbury area the buildings became part of the John Masefield High School with the Upper Hall site retained for pupils between 11 to 13 in their first two years of secondary education.
In about 1997, after a period of disuse and neglect, the building was sold by Herefordshire County Council to a London-based solicitor who converted the Hall and outbuildings into private apartments that were then sold off individually, thereby ending, as is the wont of property developers, the benefit of single ownership.