In 1885, the Ledbury & Gloucester Railway, known as the Daffodil Line, ran from Ledbury to Gloucester, via Dymock and Newent.
Much of the line was built over the route of the southern section of Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal.
The line was built by two companies, Newent Railway and Ross & Ledbury Railway, and operated by the Great Western Railway (GWR). In 1928, the GWR built Ledbury Halt in an attempt to attract more traffic to use the line. On the platform was a tin shelter to keep passengers dry, but tickets had to be bought from agents in town or at Ledbury Junction station. After the line was closed in 1964, the old railway embankment became the Town Trail and the Halt was transformed into Queen’s Walk.
For the Worcester & Hereford Railway Company in tunnelling through the Malvern Hills and the building of the viaduct, the contractors were Thomas Brassey and Stephen Ballard.
Tunnelling began in 1856 and was fairly easy until the depths of the Malvern range of syenite, a hard, tough granite, blunted the tools, whereupon almost half the tunnel had to be cut manually, taking four years to complete, in 1860.
For the viaduct, now Grade II listed, work commenced in 1854 and the viaduct opened in 1861. Thirty-one arches span the Leadon valley; the five million bricks were baked on site from local clay.