Ledbury Hunt

The Ledbury Hounds are known to have hunted the area around Ledbury for at least 300 years.

The Ledbury Hunt as currently constituted can trace its origins to 1846, when it was decided to set up a hunt on a respectable footing and form a committee. In 1868, kennels were built next to Ledbury Junction station and remained there until 1938.

The ban on hunting introduced in 2005 has led to a different form of hunting within the law. On Boxing Day, the hunt traditionally meets outside the Feathers Hotel for a stirrup cup.

Booth Hall

The "Booth Hall" according to Ledbury Parish Church Archives, we learn from 'The Parish of Ledbury in the Reign of Queen Elizabeth l' by the late Miss S.F Robinson, there may have been built here a Booth Hall to replace the original early 15th century one sited where the Feathers Hotel now is.

Such a use for this building - with its concern for the proper conduct of Ledbury's markets and fairs; market toll gathering; the Court of Piepowder*; control of vagrants and the distribution of poor law monies - might well account for the very particular choice of texts used in the Painted Room, with their emphasis on the good citizen, duty and love.

* The Court of Piepowder - The ancient court of rough and ready justice for all-comers to fairs and markets, particularly vagrants, wayfarers and itinerants - those with 'dusty feet' (from the Old French, 'Pied poudre.')' (Chambers 20th Century Dictionary, New Ed. 1988)