In 1885, the Ledbury & Gloucester Railway, known as the Daffodil Line, ran from Ledbury to Gloucester, via Dymock and Newent.
Much of the line was built over the route of the southern section of Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal.
The line was built by two companies, Newent Railway and Ross & Ledbury Railway, and operated by the Great Western Railway (GWR). In 1928, the GWR built Ledbury Halt in an attempt to attract more traffic to use the line. On the platform was a tin shelter to keep passengers dry, but tickets had to be bought from agents in town or at Ledbury Junction station. After the line was closed in 1964, the old railway embankment became the Town Trail and the Halt was transformed into Queen’s Walk.
In the Middle Ages the Leadon flowed in two branches for the last two miles. The main stream, known as the New Leadon, flowed south of Over to join the river south of Over Bridge.
The river was prone to flooding, and to alleviate the problem the river was diverted in 1867 to flow along the branch previously known as the Old Leadon, and now the only course of the river, flowing into the Severn north of Over.
The name 'Leadon' or 'Leddon' is of Celtic origin, and means "broad stream". - but please note the river-name derivations.
" Ledon, which her way doth through the desart make,
Though near to Dene ally'd, determined to forsake Her course,
and her clear lims among the bushes hide,
Lest by Sylvans, (should she chance to be espide)
She might unmaiden'd go unto the soveraign flood!
So many were the rapes done on the watery brood,
That Sabrine to her sire great Neptune forc'd to sue,
The ryots to represse of this outrageous crue."
The river Leadon as described by Michaell Drayton Esqr. [Part I] in the seventh song of his Poly-Olbion
The first instalment of Michael Drayton's long topographical and antiquarian poem, written in weighty alexandrines, appeared in 1612. The topographical structure is organised around rivers, the river passages variously recalling Spenser's poetry.